Wednesday 5 April 2017

Weekly Witch Hunt: Hidden Figures & Gorillaz 'Saturnz Barz'

We decide what artistic endeavour passed approval to earn the Scorcher label from the past seven days & what also had the dishonour of being that week's Torture...

I was a bit torn as to what film to include as my scorcher this week because I thoroughly enjoyed A Monster Calls which is a different beast to the film I opted for in the end.  Whilst it isn't as uplifting as this week's scorcher; it certainly has a positive message at its core.  Something else I considered including was Salem having just completed watching season three.  I am still deliberating exactly what side of justice that show falls.  Might have to consider it for a full review in due course...


The Scorcher

You know how sometimes you watch a film and know straight away that the film makers are playing with your emotions to gain your favour towards their protagonists; but you just don't care because you are having fun going along for the ride?  Well that is exactly how I felt watching Hidden Figures.
This is a film that straight from the moment you are introduced to Katherine Goble, Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson that you know whatever happens here; you are going to want them to come out on top.  Our three leading ladies of Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monae all give excellent performances that endear you to these wonderful; smart and most of all courageous women.  They are not alone though as both Kevin Costner and Mahershala Ali in particular ably support in their respective roles.
A lot has been said about this being a film about a person's colour and the segregation of the times and make no mistake it most definitely covers these topics.  It is also a film about misogyny in general and the negative attitudes of this era towards women; never mind those women being black, which creates a whole other level of contempt on screen.  All of this is handled with due diligence and care by director Theodore Melfi.  You get enough of a sense of what these ladies are experiencing without it becoming overbearing.  The message isn't rammed down your throat as can often happen when handling this type of subject matter.
The heart of the story is one of triumph over these negative attitudes as well as the bigotry and adversity faced by not only the three central ladies but also the other members of their department.  While it might not be 100% historically accurate it still covers the relevant events.  Overall it does a great job of conveying the positive message that it sets out to do.  Hidden Figures is by far one of the better 'feel good' movies I have seen in recent times.


The Torture

It has been seven years since the release of Plastic Beach and I like many others thought this would be the last release from Gorillaz.  So to hear that they had been working on new material with a planned album release later this year had filled me with a bit of joy.
I must say this first single Saturnz Barz has left me feeling a little underwhelmed.  It isn't a terrible song mind you.  But after barely containing my excitement I am a bit disappointed not to have a new Clint Eastwood assailing my ears.  Not that I want the same sound but I was hoping for something with a bit more pizazz!  Anyhow watch the cool clip and see what you think.  I am hoping that it grows on me after a few more listens.

No comments:

Post a Comment